Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

South University

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JCole View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JCole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South University
    Posted: 05 Oct 2007 at 6:02pm
I am currently taking courses so that I can apply to the South University AA program! Can anyone at South University tell me about the AA program? The interview process? How many students are accepted yearly? The cost of the program? What your average day is like...in your first year then second?? 
Sav View Drop Down

Quote Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2007 at 2:54pm

At South, they pair you up with another person during the interviews.  In my interview group, there were 12 people.  We got a tour of the campus & hospitals in the morning & the afternoon was composed mostly of the interview.  We had 3 interviews with 2 interviewers in each.  It wasn't too bad. 

There are 24 students in the current classes.  9 quarters.
The first quarter is all classes.  The subsequent four quarters have clinicals as well as classroom. We are in our 2nd quarter now & we are in the hospital 2 days a week from 6 am to noon & then we go to class from 1 to 6.  On the days we aren't in the hospital, we usually are in class either from 8:30 am to 6 or if we have no lab or mock OR, we go from about 1 to 6.  I'm not exactly sure what our clinical schedule is like the next 2 quarters, but I know that during the 5th quarter, we will have hospital one week 2 days a week from 6 am to 5 pm and the next week 3 days a week from 6 am to noon & then to class.
The last year is all clinical rotations.  It's a full time schedule.  While in those clinical rotations, we will have a weekly seminar meeting over the phone & online or if we're in town it's at the campus.  During these seminars we will be making presentations.
I believe the tuition is about $6500 per quarter.
Beta1 View Drop Down

Quote Beta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2007 at 11:55pm
Dang. that sounds hardcore. 
vpgraham View Drop Down

Quote vpgraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2007 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Sav

At South, they pair you up with another person during the interviews. 

What do you think is the purpose of pairing you up with another candidate?  Seems odd.
What kinds of questions did they ask you?
How's the AA job opportunities in Savannah?

I will be attending their interview on January 12, 2008.  Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Sav View Drop Down

Quote Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2007 at 6:12pm

I'm not sure why they pair us up.  It might just be for time purposes since you really have 6 people interviewing you & they generally have about 12 people in each interview group.  If I remember right, we had 5 minutes in each interview.  That was good because they were all over before we knew it.

They asked alot of the questions that you will find in a med school prep book.  Why do you want to be an anesthetist... volunteer experiences, how would you handle a situation, etc.

In Savannah, I would guess that around half of the mid-level anesthesia providers are AAs.  I know that the graduates get several job offers long before graduation, many in Savannah.

I really enjoy the program here & my preceptors have been great.  For the interview, just relax & be yourself.  Don't be afraid to sell yourself.  Make sure you can talk about any publications you may have had & any medical experience you have.  I'm sure you'll do great.

AAcrazy View Drop Down

Quote AAcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2008 at 9:47pm

I am currently enrolled in a GRE prep class to hopefully improve my scores in order to apply for the entering class of 2009.  Can anyone who recently went through the interview process give some additional insight to the process.  I was slightly confused by the mention of group interviews above.  I have been through group interviews before and they tend to be a little more intimidating for me.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I hope interviews went great for those of you applying for the entering class of 2008.  Thanks!

kellyjaa View Drop Down

Quote kellyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 2:04pm
I submitted my paperwork two weeks ago and I have not heard anything confirming that the application is complete; how long does it take to get the confirmation and when do you hear about interviews?
Sav View Drop Down

Quote Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2008 at 3:09pm
You should call Sharon, the educational coordinator, to verify that the application is complete.  Interviews won't be scheduled until closer to the end of the year.
 Post Reply Post Reply