Anesthesiologist Assistant is The Premier Employment-Solutions website for Anesthesia Professionals and Hiring Companies !

HomeMy ProfileSearch JobsPost Profile/CVPost JobsResources
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Professionalism in a new career

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sandman12 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sandman12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Professionalism in a new career
    Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 5:38pm
The field of anesthesiologist assistant is a relatively new field despite the number of years it has actually been around.  We have a great challenge before us, one that we are well prepared to take on or are we?  We are limited in numbers when compared to other anesthesia providers.  This means the mistakes that we make are that much more visible to those that are watching our every move, waiting to say "I told you so"!
Maturity in the OR and for our profession is PARAMOUNT! 
Here is where I agree with the CRNA's view point (very limited view point ) but none the less, there should be a direct patient contact work history. Why?  I think that it would give an appreciation to the incredible amount of responsibility that we are being given. I am not saying that someone straight out of college could not be this way, but for the most part they are still immature and ignorant of the responsibilities that lay before them.   Many still see this as an extension of college and it is NOT!  We will be taking care of patients who are Mother's, Grandfather's and their children.  I understand that we are all different and have our own personality's but we all have one goal....to be safe, competent and compassionate anesthesia providers.
 I hope that all students in all AA programs can appreciate the importance of this rant.  We need to make sure that this which can be changed does not change us and make us 2nd class anesthesia providers and a "joke" in the medical community.

Thank you for your time!
 Post Reply Post Reply